Burkina Faso Asks public Not Attack Coup Leaders

Michel Kafando. (AFP)

Burkina Faso's government has asked citizens to avoid acts of aggression against members of the presidential guard that staged a coup earlier this month.

The government said late on Saturday that people should remain calm and exert restraint as the unit is disbanded. The warning came in response to reports that presidential guard members and their families are being attacked.

Transitional President Michel Kafando announced the disbandment of the elite group of soldiers late on Friday. The army has begun collecting arms and says it will take days to completely disarm the group.

Members of the presidential guard arrested Kafando and the interim prime minister on September 16 and later announced the coup.

General Gilbert Diendere took power for about a week. The transitional government was reinstalled on Wednesday.
Burkina Faso 5701436257054537223

Post a Comment Default Comments Disqus Comments


Home item

Follow by Email

Popular Posts

Get Updates in your Inbox

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner